Saturday, October 10, 2009

THE NS EXECUTIVE UNITS

To celebrate the introduction of Amtrak's new Lynchburg-D.C. train, Norfolk Southern moved its business train to it's Lynchburg, Va. Montview Yard.





Here's a view of the four rebuilt F-units that pull the train. Note that only the cab-equipped 'A' units are equipped with Head End Power generators (the reason for the rear exhaust muffler/stacks) to power the passenger cars. The non-cab 'B' units in the middle lack this equipment, since they can't be used by themselves.




A close-up of the HEP modifications.



Here's another top view of the units. Those of you looking to detail the Athearn units released last year, here are your shots!



When I got to the overpass, it was still dark out, so this was the best I could do with the rest of the train. By the time the sun was up, I had already been interviewed by the cops- passerby thought I was planning to jump off the bridge! I stayed long enough to shoot the power.


No comments: